IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI / KIDK) – The Idaho Falls school district began registering for a new D91 online academy on Monday.
With the support of the district and nationally recognized online educators, the program partners with the Florida Virtual School for K-6 students.
Students in Grades 7 to 12 can partner with the Idaho Digital Learning Alliance, which has been teaching Idaho students for over 20 years.
Students must enroll in the D91 Online Academy for the entire term. It is designed as a one-year program, but is offered with some flexibility so that students can transfer to a traditional school at the start or end of each term.
The school district provided the following information on each program:
D91 Online Academy for Kindergarten to Grade 6:
- D91 teachers will provide support and instruction using the Florida Virtual School curriculum and learning management system.
- The D91 Online Academy offers innovative elementary courses in Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies. Florida Virtual School courses aligned with Idaho standards.
- Classes include a mix of computer-based learning and hands-on activities with clear learning objectives and real-world scenarios and challenges.
- Students will need access to reliable internet service to participate in the D91 Online Academy. D91 will provide students with a Chromebook if needed.
- Parent / adult support is a key success factor, so parents should expect to spend time supporting their child throughout their learning.
D91 Online Academy for Grades 7 to 12:
- IDLA teachers will use the IDLA learning management system and curriculum.
- The D91 Online Academy offers “personalized” courses in core content areas such as language arts, math, science, social studies, and some elective courses aligned with the D91 schedule.
- Custom sessions require a minimum of 12 students. They will be capped at 30 students.
- If demand exceeds the capacity of custom classes, students may be enrolled in other IDLA classes which may include students from other school districts.
- If there is not enough interest in a class to host a custom session, students can register for that class with IDLA, but it may not be aligned with the D91 school calendar.
- Online courses are difficult, so D91 recommends that students in Grades 7 to 12 take no more than four courses per term and take core courses in the first and second quarters, and electives in the third term. .
- If students wish to take more than four courses per term, D91 Online Academy may enroll them in other IDLA offerings, but those courses may not be aligned with the D91 academic calendar. Additional courses would cost $ 15 per term.
- If students want to take advanced courses or other courses that are not part of the D91 Custom Sessions, D91 Online Academy may enroll students in these courses, but they may not be aligned with the D91 academic calendar. (Students would not need to pay the $ 15 fee if this class is one of the four classes that are a full-time load for D91 Online Academy students.)
- Students will need access to reliable internet service to participate in the D91 Online Academy.
- Parent / adult support is a key success factor, so parents should expect to spend time supporting their child throughout their learning. Students should expect to spend at least four hours a day working online.
To view the course catalogs or to register, visit the online academy website.
Registration opened Monday and will close on August 19. Classes will start on September 8th.